Can an Addict be Forced into Treatment in Arizona?

Can an Addict be Forced into Treatment in Arizona?

Drug and alcohol addiction is an epidemic in the United States. In the next decade, some numbers predict that 1.6 million people will die from drugs, alcohol and suicide. With such disheartening figures in Arizona alike, families are becoming more aggressive with identifying substance abuse disorders and putting their loved ones in treatment.

A great question that some families have is whether or not they can force a relative into Phoenix addiction treatment. After all, some people with substance abuse issues fail to see their problem and may never get help unless they are forced.

We will help you understand the laws in our state and how they pertain to getting treatment.

Arizona’s Laws Regarding Involuntary Commitment

Arizona has civil commitment laws, just as every other state does. These commitment laws establish criteria for determining when involuntary treatment may be necessary. Arizona’s laws allow for court-ordered treatment in the community, known as assisted outpatient treatment (AOT). You can find an application for emergency admissions online, as well as the Arizona state petition for court-ordered treatment.

In our state, the court may order a person to seek drug or alcohol rehab in Phoenix if they meet any of the following criteria:

  • Danger to themselves
  • Danger to others
  • Unwilling or unable to accept voluntary treatment
  • Persistently or acutely disabled
  • Gravely disabled

Hurdles to Enforcing Court-Ordered Treatment

Even though you can force a person into rehabs in Phoenix, it’s not a straightforward process. Court-ordered treatment only applies to adults over the age of 18. Also, each state has their own procedures for involuntary commitment. Generally speaking, this involves proving that the person has an addiction to drugs or alcohol and has threatened themselves or others.

You may also be required to show supporting evidence of violent behavior, such as what’s reported in a police statement. If you don’t have this type of proof, you may be able to prove that your relative is debilitated by the addiction and unable to keep a job or support their family.

All addicts that are forced into treatment also have their rights to a lawyer. Their attorney could file a report of unlawful detention. In the end, your hard work could end up with your loved one being released from treatment. With so many unknowns in the process, it’s helpful to speak with an attorney first.

Staging an Intervention

The ideal scenario is for the addict to agree to drug rehab in Phoenix. The best way to do this is by staging an effective intervention. To ensure that your intervention has a strong foundation, speak with an interventionist or addiction treatment specialist. Also, it’s important that you are not enabling your loved one’s drug or alcohol use. This will only complicate the process of getting your loved one help.

Are you concerned about a loved one? Contact Continuum Recovery Center to learn more about our programs and how we can assess your relative.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *