The National Institute on Drug Abuse recommends that recovering addicts stay in treatment for at least 90 days. The longer treatment lasts, the better. This time allows the body to heal. It takes longer for the brain to recover, but three months away from toxic people and places is a good start. Recovering addicts also get more time to work on essential life skills like self-awareness.
Once a person completes treatment and is welcomed home by loved ones, maintaining sobriety can be a challenge. Not only do recovering addicts have to stay sober but also control urges, manage impulsive behaviors and prevent triggers. This requires good judgement and vigilant work at all times.
To help with this process, more drug treatment centers in Phoenix AZ are offering aftercare plans. At Continuum Recovery Center, we take this process seriously. We realize that a strong continuing care plan can make the difference between staying sober and relapsing.
Main Points Covered in an Aftercare Plan
Many of our clients and their families ask what will be included in their aftercare plan, so we thought we would address the details. Remember, each program is specifically created for the individual and addresses their unique lifestyle. Here are the main areas that our Phoenix treatment center focuses on.
- Support meetings. Times, locations and frequency of support groups are discussed for AA, NA or other group meetings.
- Support people. Names and phone numbers of sponsors or other support people are included. This way, supportive, sober individuals can be reached in times of crisis.
- Triggers. Not all triggers may be known right away, but some will. Common triggers include tense family relationships, specific locations or mental illness. An action plan for managing and dealing with these triggers is also included.
- Individual goals. Some of the personal goals that our clients work on are self-awareness, managing emotions and improving relationships.
- Individual therapy. Most recovering addicts continue individual therapy to further develop self-help skills and manage a possible mental illness.
- Time management. To prevent boredom, aftercare plans address balancing time between employment/education, hobbies, exercise and more.
- Public assistance. If the individual qualifies, information for public housing, public transportation, child care, parental assistance and other state programs will be provided by our drug rehab in Phoenix.
- Insurance. Information on insurance is given so that recovering addicts know what type of care is covered going forward.
Recovery is a lifelong process, but the most vulnerable time is during the first three months. An aftercare plan intends to reduce relapse rates by giving recovering addicts and their families additional support, guidance and direction. To learn more about Continuum Recovery Center’s aftercare program, contact us today.
Geffen has been in the field for over 20 years, and has worked in every facet of substance abuse treatment. Using his own personal experience in recovery and the education he has learned while in the field, Geffen can relate and connect with clients in a way that promotes recovery, self love and the desire for clients to achieve the best for themselves. Geffen is licensed in Arizona as a substance abuse counselor and has an IC&RC certification, as well as a life coaching certification.