Drug abuse and alcohol addiction affect the family on many levels. Addictive behaviors can run through generations and, left untreated, leave family members at risk for years. Family can also bring about environmental factors in the development of these behavioral health conditions, without even knowing. Unhealthy communication and coping mechanisms can be one of the reasons why addiction starts, remains, and decays the family dynamic.
Why Family Healing Supports Recovery
What Family Education Provides
A licensed substance abuse counselor educates family members on:
- The addiction disease model
- The purpose of treatment
- How treatment works as a support mechanism for you or your loved one
- What enabling looks like
- Where to go for additional resources in family support
The Benefits of Family Education Are Immeasurable
When we suggest our program to mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers, and adult children of clients who are here undergoing treatment for substance use disorders, we do this for the benefit of each family member. We know that a strong and stable family, unified, offers a more supportive force than each person individually.
What to Expect in Our Family Program
No two family education sessions will be the same, as different points of contention and interest will give rise to areas that need to be addressed. Some moments will be anticipated and others can come from left field.
A licensed counselor will guide you through the process, where you’ll learn how to:
- Identify sources of conflict
- Reestablish healthy boundaries
- Recognize the signs of stress, triggers, and addiction relapse
- Reinstate supportive ways in coexisting
- Define pathways to build trust again
- Understand the nature of addictive behaviors
Together, family can find peace and comfort while a loved one continues to heal in recovery.